Friday 1 November 2013

'The Pride' Trafalgar Studios 1 *****

I have to admit that 'The Pride' is an outstanding production that conveys the rise and fall of homosexuality. The play written by Alexi Kaye Campbell is set in both the 1950s and the present day and suggests the progression of change towards the homosexual act. The story is highly emotive that leaves a tear running down my cheek and you're taken on a journey that conveys acceptance of the gay community. The performances are exceptional throughout the whole production. The shows central protagonist Oliver (Al Weaver) and Phillip (Harry Hadden-Paton) compassionately portray a potential gay couple who in both time periods suggest that they are destined to be together. But in the 1950s scenes when Phillip is married to Sylvia (Hayley Atwell) it seems that that relationship is never meant to happen. I thought that the performances were compelling throughout and emotionally convincing. In addition to this I found 'Gavin and Stacey' star Mathew Horne as the other characters to be as entertaining and professionally performed and it's really pleasing to see him as someone else. The director Jamie Lloyd seems to have an immense passion for this production and his direction is phenomenal Ashe directs a quite sensitive and poignant issue to an excellent standard of finish. It seems that he has read through Campbell's script intently with a keen interest into the issue of acceptance of the gay community and that it can engage with a range of audiences for  over eighteens. I thought that Soutra Gilmour's design was quite inventive and incredibly mysterious as it encapsulates the transitions of the 1950s to the present day. As well as I liked the choices of textures chosen for the set and the mirror like illusions as a form of projection. This enables me to be quite encouraged and comfortable in knowing that every decision made had a clear dramaturgical meaning. I feel that 'The Pride' establishes the Gay Theatre genre has a place and I had a wonderful experience which makes me stand up and say "I'm proud to be gay".

No comments:

Post a Comment